Working from home has become the new normal, especially since COVID-19. The situation might not change as quickly as we want it to be and all we can do is try to adapt and learn how to balance work and personal life under one roof.
Finding the right space that will allow you to concentrate on your work, conduct effective business meetings and fulfill all of your professional duties has become a priority for many employees all over the world. Setting up your office at the kitchen table, in the kid’s room or in the cramped basement can’t simply cut it. If you’re going to work remotely, you will need that peace and quiet, especially if the whole family is staying at home 24/7 due to COVID-19 restrictions.
That’s how the backyard office became one of the most popular solutions to our trendy work from home problems. When the whole family works from home and the kids are distance-learning, heading to the backyard allows you to have that much-needed personal space. Separating the spaces we use is crucial to keeping the work/life balance and investing in a backyard shed might be the right way to achieve it.
So, What Exactly is a Backyard Office?
A backyard office is basically a shed, located in your backyard which you use as a designated office space. It’s an outdoor space that is adapted into an area suited to work from home. Backyard sheds are serving the needs of people who are working from home and are in desperate search for a way to avoid clashing with other family members who are also working or studying from home.
Locating your office in the backyard is not a newly-emerging concept. However, in 2020 it was the COVID-19 situation that transformed the backyard office into an established trend.
Furthermore, shed companies are now giving people tons of options and opportunities to design, furnish and customize their sheds however they want to. Now, the backyard office is not just a way to distance your professional life from your home/personal life but it’s also a great way to work in a place that’s been entirely created based on your own personal taste, needs and comfort.
Increase in Sales of Sheds
Shed companies, especially from the U.S.A., have reported a significant increase in sales. Business is booming as shed manufacturers have focused on fulfilling every need, ranging from compact home office structures to deluxe or more elaborate custom designs. LA-based manufacturers, for instance, have reported that sales for prefab backyard offices have increased by 250& since mid-April
Humble sheds are no longer wanted. Companies are designing complex structures and focusing on functionalities by adding features like operable windows, solar panels for power and more.
Of course, the classic cottages are still here to stay. However, these days people who work from home invest in more modern-looking sheds that mimic small house designs.
In terms of investment, a typical prefab backyard office can cost you between $10k-$30k. Of course, the price depends on features such as plumbing, smart office equipment, windows, solar panels and more. Moreover, what you should also keep in mind is the need and cost for a building permit, which also varies depending on your location and the size of the shed.
Many work-from-home people think that this is just a small price to pay for ensuring convenience, peace and quiet while focusing on work and performing their daily job responsibilities.
What are the advantages of the backyard office?
I’ve briefly touched upon several of those advantages, the main one being that an outdoor office shed provides a personal space and a clear separation between life and work, while you’re still technically in your own home. What are some other benefits of having a backyard home office?
- It’s not that expensive to do it. If you want to remodel your house and add another room, it will cost you a lot of time and money. Buying a shed, however, is affordable and just as good of a solution to your problems with personal work space.
- All the work-from-home benefits are still kept. Some of those include flexible schedules, no travelling and being closer to your loved ones.
- There are plenty of backyard office solutions out there to choose from. You can design your outdoor office the way you’ve always imagined! Wooden exterior, sliding doors, energy-efficient windows, solar power packages controlled with your smartphone or Alexa are just a very few of the options you have for your backyard shed. Not just that but now you can bring back the inner decorator in you and furnish it the way you want to.
- It doesn’t take that long to build it. Depending on the type of shed you purchase, it may take from 2 days to 2 weeks but no more. This is nothing compared to the time it will take you to add another room to your house.
From ordering a prefabricated structure to having your first Zoom team meeting will take you less than a week.
- You can enjoy fresh air and natural light. This is something we rarely think about when we used to work in the office. Now, you can customize your backyard office studio with sliding doors or plenty of windows you can open at any time. There’s nothing better than working outside and getting a good dose of vitamin D.
- Everyone can benefit from having their own backyard office, regardless of their occupation. Whether you’re a businessman, a marketing manager or a writer or artist, you can only benefit from investing in a personal outdoor office or studio.
- Your new backyard office shed can be made from sustainable elements and you can utilize solar panels or renewable energy generators to keep the project as green as possible.
- Multipurpose! Think about that. An office shed can be where you work throughout the day but it can be so much more than that when you’re finished with your work. You will equip the shed with a computer, probably a TV and you can even add a bed. It can become the perfect place where you and your children can play video games. Not just that but if you include a bed or a gold out couch in it, it can also turn into a guest room when required.
- No noise pollution. You will immediately spot the difference. If your office used to be located in a busy city area with vehicles driving past each other and people talking or shouting all over the place, you were probably feeling quite stressed about it. Now, you can escape into your shed and enjoy peace and quiet while you’re coming up with the next big business idea!
- An office shed located in your backyard can increase your home’s value. This is something that you’re not thinking about right now but one day, your outside office can increase the value of your house as much as 5–7% if it’s in a good state. Your investment now will surely bring you profit one day when you decide to move somewhere else and sell your house.
Working from home is here to stay. Even without the COVID-19 pandemic, there are a huge number of people who have been practicing remote work for years now. That’s why designating a specific area where you can focus on work has become increasingly important.
A backyard office or studio is definitely a great solution to your problems. If things get too cramped inside the house, it’s definitely a wise decision to invest in a shed. Cheap backyard office sheds are offered by many companies these days. You can also design it the way you’ve always imagined your office would look like. You want a soundproofed room or an office space where you can blast your music while working on your next project? You can have it all!
Building comfort for yourself and your career will ultimately help you grow as a professional. That new level of relaxation and solitude is directly tied to improved efficiency and productivity. Now, all you have to do is check shed manufacturers near you and start preparing for your new office!